Basket case

No – not me, though I’m frantically rushing around before I go on holiday, so I do feel a bit frazzled!

Term started this evening at Morley College, and we began with some basketry weaving. To get the hang of it, we cut 12 long strips of card, and wove the centres together to form a square, six in each direction.  (We kept them in position by taping the six vertical strips on the table with masking tape.) Then, to form the corners, we wove the two central strips together on each side, adding the others as we moved upwards, holding the strips in position with clothes pegs, as in the picture above.

Those who wanted a flat, square bottom added creases using a spatula (I preferred a round bottom!). Then we pulled all the strips up as tightly as possible to get rid of large holes, and used either staples or hot glue to hold them in place around the top. Some students cut a strip to stitch or glue around the top to finish off; it’s also possible, if the strips are long enough, to weave them back in.

Next week they will be using craft (pelmet) vilene for weaving, colouring it in the heat press first, and also experimenting with coiling. I’m off on holiday for a couple of weeks, so I’ll be interested to see what they’ve produced when I get back!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s