Slippers revisited

One thing I completely forgot to say in my previous post is that when things don’t work out, it’s amazing what support you receive from the online community – most of whom are people you have never met in person!

Original "honey monster" slippers

In an earlier post I described how my first attempt at making felt slippers wasn’t a huge success. Lo and behold, Chrissie Day, an experienced felter who has written several books, popped up to give advice in the comments. So I bought her book Felt Style, ordered some polystyrene foot lasts, and had another go.

Slippers on forms after initial rubbing

I covered the lasts with clingfilm, slipped them into my “honey monster” slippers, and wet, soaped and rubbed until the slippers fitted the lasts well. I have to say it was so much easier rubbing the slippers with the lasts inside, as it gives something to rub against.

Then I slipped a pop sock over each one, tied a knot at the top, and put them in the washing machine with a bath towel at 60°C.

Slippers after the washing machine

As you can see, the slippers are a much better shape, and the ridges are less  prominent (though I can still feel them). They are still a little big lengthwise (size 5 rather than size 4, I reckon!), so I think I need to make the original template a bit shorter. But with an adornment or two, I think these are now perfectly acceptable footwear!

So huge thanks to Chrissie for her advice and support on this. The kindness of strangers never ceases to amaze.


Published by


Flextiles uses shibori, ecoprinting and felting to create original, one-off upcycled pieces. Extending the life of a garment by an extra nine months reduces its environmental impact by 20-30%.

4 thoughts on “Slippers revisited”

  1. Well done Kim!! It looks so much easier with the lasts. I must get some. The felting group I go to bashes and pulls and sweats till the darn things take shape, but your way is sooo much better. Thanks for sharing.

  2. Glad to see it is working I think the shrinkage is either you have not worked out the shrinkage percentage of the fibres you are using or the initial pattern is not right Your slippers should be like a second skin .Try redoing a sample piece on a shape of 21cms by 21cms (made from an A4 piece of paper) and use exactly the same sequence and fibres on this as you use on the slippers.After shrinking measure your piece then divide into the 21cms square and calculate the percentage shrinkage,this is how much you should increase your template drawing by.The only fold over of fibre should be the fringing on both sides,therefore no lumpy soles.I now line mine with silk merino mix as 1st layer nice for the toes .Enjoy .C

    1. Thanks Chrissie. I think I didn’t work out the percentage shrinkage properly as it was an experiment to see how the technique worked. Also, that technique makes individual slippers from two separate templates rather than using one template and cutting it in half at the ankles as in your book. I think I will try your technique next time!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.