Inspired by a visit to the Oxford University Museum of Natural History a couple of weeks ago, I set myself the challenge of trying to create a nautilus shell in felt.
With multiple resists stacked on top of each other, I wasn’t sure how many layers it would be possible to felt in one go, so I restricted it to six chambers to start with. Once the layers separating the chambers were firmly bonded to the external “walls”, I removed the resists and rubbed the internal layers with bubble wrap.
However, the real problem lay in the distance between the separating walls. I couldn’t spiral the first shell I made because the width of the chambers on the outer edge was too short.
Soon the second shell I increased the width of the chambers, but the felt was too floppy and still didn’t spiral very well.
Nice organic shapes, but back to the drawing board as far as nautilus is concerned!