Nautilus cross section

You may remember my previous experiments with nautilus, trying to create a cross section showing the chambered innards in felt. I thought I had cracked the basic technique, so went off to focus on whole shells rather than cross sections.

However, I was determined to include a cross section in the end-of-year exhibition at Morley Gallery,  so a few weeks ago I returned to the challenge – and got very frustrated. No matter how much I varied the lengths of the resists or the distance between them, I always ended up with something that looked more like a rosebud, with the outer chambers refusing to open out. I’d reached a dead end.

Then after some “I’m ready to give up” conversations with my tutor Mary and with Chrissie, I decided to try another approach. This involved stitching a long strip of prefelt around the resists in the shape I wanted, and then felting into shape.

It took me a while to figure out the best way of doing this, using calico and a tape measure. But finally I thought I had it and summoned up the courage to cut into my precious prefelt.

I was quite pleased with the stitched version before felting – but boy was it difficult to felt. Because I was paranoid about the felt shrinking too much, leading to the problems I’d had before, I packed the spaces with bubble wrap to keep them opened out, which made felting even trickier.

Although some felting did occur, the piece was still pretty fragile. So I sewed the plastic resists back in, took another deep breath – and put it in the washing machine.

Thankfully, the gamble paid off. The final piece didn’t shrink as much as I expected, but it is a bit sturdier and didn’t fall apart.

Now all I have to do is find some way to keep its shape when hanging it. 🙂

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “Nautilus cross section”

  1. Fantastic – perseverance wins all every time. I imagine a few of these, different sizes, floating / suspended, next to your felted pieces. Stitch with wire?

  2. Thanks for all your comments. As you can see from the next post, I didn’t really have time to do anything to stiffen it – as soon as it was dry I had to take it into the gallery to hang it!

    Jennifer – if I’d had time I think it would have been lovely to have three of different sizes suspended above the solid ones. But sadly I ran out of time on this one. Maybe next year,,, 😉

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s