A few weeks ago at Making Uncovered, when I was demonstrating how I make felt pots and purses, one of the visitors asked if I could make her some felt flowers to wear on her coat. I said that a corsage would be no problem, and helped her to pick out the colours she liked.
She then drew a sketch for me of what she required, and it turned out that she wanted three flowers of different sizes on stalks, along with two leaves.
This, I discovered, was trickier. The flowers couldn’t be too large, as the size of the overall piece would be enormous and the stalks wouldn’t be able to support them. I used three layers of felt for each flower head, but working on this relatively small scale was a bit fiddly.
After that I made the stalks and leaves, which I managed to felt together without problems. Attaching the flower heads to the stalks was more challenging – a felting needle, together with conventional needle and thread, came in handy here.
The final difficulty was where to attach the fastener. Putting it on the thickest part of the stalk didn’t work, as the weight of the orange flower meant it tended to flop over slightly. In the end I sewed on two fasteners – one on the back of the orange flower and one on the stalk.
Let’s hope the customer likes it – and doesn’t change coats too often! 😉