Felting samples

After thinking about it, I realise that my vague dissatisfaction with the hard and soft pieces I’ve made so far is probably due to the lack textural contrasts. Although the stones are hard and the wool is soft(ish), both have a very smooth texture, so the contrast isn’t as great as you might expect. Adding embroidery adds texture as well as colour.

So I decided to try using slate paddlestones, which have more ridges – this is the result.

paddlestone ring

This piece is very patchy – I took it apart and remade it several times while trying to refine the process! But I’m very happy with the overall effect.

I also revisited briefly my work on cellular felt. Unfortunately I completely cocked this up. 😦 There should have been 12 “cells” of each colour, but I miscounted the number of cells in the middle peacock blue layer, so there are only 11. As a result, the cells on each row don’t alternate properly all the way round.

half pompom

I think I could add another layer in the centre to form a dahlia-like structure – though I need to solve the  problem of how to get the middle layers to felt properly. But again, the sample was a good way of working through the process and refining solutions. I think this could work well on a larger scale as a wall piece.

Advertisements

8 thoughts on “Felting samples”

  1. Wonderful experiments! I particularly like the cellular piece. Even if it’s not what you were aiming for, it has a nice form and integrity of its own.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s