Just a Card

Sorry about the radio silence – I’ve been spending too much time in front of a screen building websites and not enough time by the indigo vat! 😦

I’ve just dropped in to let you know that the fab team at Just a Card are featuring me on their blog this week.

If you haven’t heard of Just a Card, it’s a campaign set up by artist and designer Sarah Hamilton to encourage people to buy from independent designer makers, galleries and shops by reinforcing the message that all purchases, however small (even “just a card”), are so vital to the prosperity and survival of small businesses.

The name came about after Sarah read about a gallery that had recently closed, with a quote from the owners saying: “If everyone who’d complimented our beautiful gallery had bought ‘just a card’ we’d still be open”.

All the team are volunteers, and it’s their enthusiasm and dedication to the cause that has made the campaign such a success. Particular thanks to Kate Marsden, the Just a Card blogger, for featuring me on the site this week.

You can support the Just a Card campaign by following and sharing their posts on social media, adding their logo to your blog or site, and talking to other makers and customers.

Thank you!

 

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Just a Card”

  1. Hello Kim, I have been following your blog for the last few months (love, Love, LOVE your work!), and I recently took a class on eco-dyeing here in the US. When I saw the photos of your work on the Just A Card site, I was blown away by how clear & almost photographic the plant images are. If you don’t mind, I would love to know how you achieve this amazing effect. In the class I took, the fabric (silk) was soaked in a solution of water & ferrous sulfate, then the plants were laid on top, sprayed with a 1:1 solution of vinegar & water, then rolled up around a dowel/stick/whatever. Then they were set aside to sit for a bit (an hour or two in the class; but I had to leave the class early, so the instructor told me to let mine sit for 2 days, so I did) and then steamed for 2 hours. I did one with plants/leaves/greens and another with flowers & green leaves. Both are lovely, but the effect is very different from yours. I am just curious as to how your process & chemicals (ferrous sulfate & vinegar) are different from what I learned a week ago. My next experiment will be to do the same technique on some wool gauze, since it uses the same process as silk to set color, at least for “regular” acid dyes, like Jacquard. Like you, I’m not a trained fiber person, but have been knitting, spinning, weaving, felting, sewing quilting, etc. for more years than I would care to admit! Thanks so much for your time & consideration. Wishing you the best, Beth

    1. Hello Beth,
      The one thing that my experiments with ecoprinting have taught me over the years is that the results are not always predictable. There are so many variables – the water and fabric you use, the time of year the leaves were picked, where they were grown etc. You learn a lot from workshops (I did a fantastic one with Irit Dulman, who has taught in the US), but you need to keep experimenting with local plants and find out what works best for you.

      I try to keep my ecoprinting process as simple as possible. I do not mordant silk directly unless I am also dyeing it. I use an iron blanket (cloth soaked in rusty water) on top of the leaves, bundle it up and steam it for 3 hours. That’s it.

      Best of luck with your experiments!

      Kim

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s