Our basketry tutor at City Lit managed to send through some photos and instructions on coiling around a solid core. I ordered some sash cord online and have a plentiful stash of knitting yarns, so here are a couple of samples.
Starting and finishing is the trickiest – I need more practice on this!
Does this pattern look familiar? Not that I’m obsessed or anything! 😉
I also managed to finish another straw vessel for the exhibition “In Search of (Im)possibilities”, whenever it happens (see last post). This one is random weave with a coiled border.
In the garden, spring continues to progress. Last week I spotted what I thought was a furry ginger bee with a long proboscis feeding on the forget me nots. (You can see my video on Instagram.)
Turns out it’s a bee-fly, which is a parasite. The fly larva fastens on to a real bee grub and sucks all the fluids out of it. However, it apparently has little impact on bee numbers, and it’s fascinating to watch.
Ever Supportive Partner has been working from home, and his stained glass classes have been cancelled. With no other outlet for his creative urges, he’s taken to wiring together all the offcuts of my cane platters. I think I may have competition! 🙂
Finally, this week’s kimono from the Victoria and Albert exhibition is an outer kimono (uchikake) that would have been worn over another kimono. The long sleeves mean the weater was young and unmarried.
Dating from the early 19th century, the kimono is made of silk satin and combines shibori, paste resist dyeing (yuzen), and silk embroidery.