As well as sculpting with stone, ESP has experimented with plaster moulding. But rather than carving his own moulds, he has unconventionally used things like discarded packaging.
This piece, which looks like a fragment of a Greek column, was made using some air-filled plastic packaging that protected bottles.
Over Easter we experimented with filling balloons with plaster. Because the plaster takes around 20 minutes to dry and we got bored of moving them around before that, the plaster settled and was thicker in some areas than others. So when we cut off the balloon the tension caused the very thin areas to break. They look uncannily like real eggs!
I started by dipping some felt offcuts into plaster – some just one layer, others more than once.
You can see above that the hairy texture of the wool is quite evident beneath the plaster in places.
I then made and dipped two spherical felt vessels. This one was merino.
This one was made with coarser cheviot wool.
I dipped each vessel four times but there is still a clear difference in texture. This may be more noticeable with fewer dips but then the plaster may be too delicate to withstand much pressure.
More experiments needed! 🙂